Lesson Plan: Indian Pride:Ep. 13: Tribal Gaming: G3-5Written By: Cheryl Long Feather, Bismarck Public School, Bismarck, ND
Grade Level: 3 - 5
1 Class Period
OverviewAs a result of this activity, students will understand the authority of Tribes to operate Tribal casinos and the interdependent relationship between the Tribal gaming industry and surrounding communities.
• Students will be able to articulate the basis of authority to operate Tribal casinos.
• Students will comprehend the differences between power, authority, and rights in the complex example of Tribal gaming.
• Students will be able to think critically about the notions of power, authority and rights in the context of Tribal, state and federal governments.
• Photos of area Tribal casinos
• Background information on area Tribal casinos and/or any current newspaper articles that relate to gaming issues
• Episode #113 “Tribal Gaming” of the PBS Indian Pride series
Explain the rule-making process and its purpose in the school