The Standing Rock Reservation was established by the 1851 Fort Laramie Treaty, and was a part of the Great Sioux Nation. The center of the reservation was the Black Hills, the “paha sapa,” sacred to all Lakota.
The size of the reservation has been reduced through various ways. The 1868 Fort Laramie Treaty broke the Great Sioux Nation and divided the land for some of the tribes, but took the Black Hills. The series of allotment acts that began in 1868 and ended in 1915 divided the land even further, allotting to individuals and families timber allotments to provide for fuel and home-sites. Finally, nearly one million acres of western reservation lands were opened for white settlement.
The Standing Rock Reservation is situated in southwest North Dakota on the North Dakota/South Dakota border. The reservation encompasses all of Sioux County in North Dakota, and all of Corson County and small portions of Dewey and Ziebach Counties, in South Dakota.
The Standing Rock Reservation covers approximately 3,625 square miles in North Dakota and South Dakota, with a total area of 2,320,275 acres. As of 1994, there are approximately 980,000 acres of land that is Indian owned, trust land. The remainder of the land is fee land of nearly 1.5 million acres, primarily non-Indian owned lands, school and township lands, and approximately 50,000 acres that was reservoir taking area as a result of the creation of the Oahe Reservoir.
|*State, Federal, Non-Indian Lands||
|Total Acreage within Reservation||
|*Includes approximately 50,000 acres that resulted from the creation of the Lake Oahe Reservoir.|